M.Simons on Sun, 6 Apr 2003 22:00:25 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Power Supply Needed: suggestions?

Greetings,

    Well, I wanted to thank mr. anonymous donor for giving me a 250
Watt power supply.. I don't know if he wants to be thanked publically
or not, so here it is. :)  Thanks.

    Anyways, I wanted to start a related discussion. . and offer up a
suggestion.

    First, the suggestion... if you are in the market for a new power
supply or rather case & power supply, this week at CompUSA, they have a
Full-tower ATX case with 400Watt power supply on sale for $79.99 after
rebate. (tax was $7 at the franklin mills location, plus the postage to
send in the rebate.. so you get a pretty good case & power supply for
about $87.36 -- this beats Pricegrabber and Pricewatch prices on the same
item (well, you can find it cheaper on them, but shipping winds up making
it more.)  here's the link:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297029&pfp=ADPRODUCTS

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297029&pfp
=ADPRODUCTS

This is an Antec brand, and Antec was a brand that was recommended as a
good non-no-name brand when I was looking for a power supply.

    Okay, well, since I bought this, I am not about to go get a new power
supply.. but along the lines of another discussion I had.. it was
suggested that one calculates the power needs one has before buying a new
power supply.  It was pointed out that most components in their manual, or
on their websites states power requirements.. but in looking around, I
have noticed different numbers for different reasons, and with different
notations, some products talk about miliamps(?), and some talk about
Watts, some talk about both, or something else entirely.  Looking at some
of these numbers, I find it funny that I would need such a high capacity
power supply.. so I am inquiring about tips and guides on how to add it
all up, what it all means, etc.  I think this is a discussion that others
on the list could possibly benefit from.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org