Paul on Mon, 7 Apr 2003 00:20:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Power Supply Needed: suggestions?

Check AMD's Web site. They have PDFs on calculating your "power budget" which is what you're talkin bout.

As for basic electronics, think PIE. Power in Watts equals current times voltage (a.k.a. electromotive force). Better expressed as P = IE.

M.Simons wrote:

Okay, well, since I bought this, I am not about to go get a new power
supply.. but along the lines of another discussion I had.. it was
suggested that one calculates the power needs one has before buying a new
power supply. It was pointed out that most components in their manual, or
on their websites states power requirements.. but in looking around, I
have noticed different numbers for different reasons, and with different
notations, some products talk about miliamps(?), and some talk about
Watts, some talk about both, or something else entirely. Looking at some
of these numbers, I find it funny that I would need such a high capacity
power supply.. so I am inquiring about tips and guides on how to add it
all up, what it all means, etc. I think this is a discussion that others
on the list could possibly benefit from.