gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:30:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Can Open Source Replace Oracle?

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:06:30PM -0000, greg@turnstep.com wrote:
> Sorry, I cannot let this one slip by.

Neither can I.

> Saying that Postgres cannot come close because it was *based* on
> Ingress is like saying that Linux is not a good OS because it was
> based on Minux.

That's "Minix". And it's meaningless to suggest a correlation there.
Postgres really is based on Ingress. Linux was written as a
*reaction* to Minix. Minix is a microkernel architecture, Linux is a
monolithic kernel. And things get more divergent from there.

> I mostly agree with the rest however, and would add
> this: the rare database that needs the full power of Oracle and cannot
> have its needs met by PostgreSQL is the exception, not the rule.

I've found that to be factually in incorrect in the real world of
marketing database systems.

As I said before, it's not *just* the Postgres that's the problem.
It's the crappy file system, the crappy hardware, and the crappy
memory access routines behind it.

But even if I put Oracle in that same environment, it wins on time
measurements reliably. And it beats sapdb too, apparently (the
co-worker who played with it described sapdb as about the same
performance as Postgres; this is SAP's freebie DB, not their big,
scary one that they use in their only-through-our-front-end
applications).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net