Toby DiPasquale on Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:27:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Can Open Source Replace Oracle?

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 17:29, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:.
> That's "Minix". And it's meaningless to suggest a correlation there.
> Postgres really is based on Ingress. Linux was written as a
> *reaction* to Minix. Minix is a microkernel architecture, Linux is a
> monolithic kernel. And things get more divergent from there.

Not really. Linux was written independently of Minix, although the text
from which Minix sprang was referenced in the creation of Linux. Linux
started out as a terminal emulator that Linus could use to connect to
his university's network. He then decided that he was most of the way
there already, so why not write an OS? It was only after Linux was borne
that Tanenbaum started the infamous "monolithic vs. microkernel" flame
thread on lkml. It's all right there in __Just for Fun__.

> But even if I put Oracle in that same environment, it wins on time
> measurements reliably. And it beats sapdb too, apparently (the
> co-worker who played with it described sapdb as about the same
> performance as Postgres; this is SAP's freebie DB, not their big,
> scary one that they use in their only-through-our-front-end
> applications).

Excellent point. As well, remember that databases will grow with the
application over time, and no one has the kind of extensibility and
functionality (not to mention the vast APIs) that Oracle has.

--
Tobias DiPasquale
http://www.cbcg.net/