Michael F. Robbins on Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:25:30 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux FIFOs

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 22:47, Martin DiViaio wrote:
> I have a signature rotation script that creates a FIFO to output to. I
> then just point pine to the FIFO filename. This doesn't seem to want to
> work as it use to.

I'm sure you've asked yourself already, but what changed?  New version
of pine/your scripting language/kernel?

> and it would just start dumping sigs out until I CTRL-C'd the tail. It
> doesn't do this anymore. It reads the FIFO the first time then just hangs.
> The write program makes several more dumps to the FIFO then also hangs.
> If I kill the tail at that point, the write program dies with a broken
> pipe error.

"man 4 fifo" might provide some insight.  Also, make sure that you
aren't being thwarted by FIFO buffering.  I imagine that this will be
specific to the language that you are using.  (When I did some FIFO work
in C++ I had to be careful to keep flushing the stream after every
write.)

To make sure the kernel FIFO behavior is sane, try it manually.  Make a
FIFO file, cat > thefifo on one virtual console, and  tail -f thefifo
(or run pine) on another VC.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com