Martin DiViaio on Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:48:05 -0400

[PLUG] Linux FIFOs

Has anyone noticed some odd behavior when working with FIFOs?

I have a signature rotation script that creates a FIFO to output to. I
then just point pine to the FIFO filename. This doesn't seem to want to
work as it use to.

For instance:

I use to be able to:

tail -f fifoname

and it would just start dumping sigs out until I CTRL-C'd the tail. It
doesn't do this anymore. It reads the FIFO the first time then just hangs.
The write program makes several more dumps to the FIFO then also hangs.
If I kill the tail at that point, the write program dies with a broken
pipe error.

Pine also doesn't display the output from the FIFO when it goes to read
the signature file. It does read the FIFO though and I can use CTRL-R in
the editor to read it again (and get the output).

--
GPG Fingerprint: C900 18EF 0C36 4EAF A93C  F073 85D4 8B3C F3D8 077B