Kevin Brosius on Tue, 15 Apr 2003 13:21:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ssh login delay

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> Logging in via ssh to a 486 box running debian sarge, there's a
> significant pause, presumably to generate a new session key.  This is
> surely unavoidable short of new hardware.
>
> From the 486, I ssh to a very fast machine that, otherwise, would
> respond almost instantly with a request for a password. But I get a 35
> second delay.
>
> Tailing messages, syslog, daemon.log, and auth.log, I don't see any
> difference between an ssh login to fast from fast or to fast from
> slow-486.
>
> Any thoughts what might be going on or what I might look at?

There was a known bug that caused a delay like this.  I see it here
using ssh going from a Solaris machine to Linux.  It's on the Solaris
side, because the Linux to Linux setup is clean.  Anyway, I'd search the
the openssh mailing list, or maybe google.  I think it was fixed, but
don't recall what version.

--
Kevin Brosius