Paul.L.Snyder on Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:00:33 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Local Mirrors?

On 16-Apr-2003, "Kevin Brosius" <kbrosius@kns.com> wrote:

>Sergey Ostrovsky wrote:

[...]
> [...]
[...]
>>> Anybody tried out BitTorrent?  Maybe the people who have full time
>>> connections could pool together to sponsor some additional BitTorrent
>>> bandwidth.  This alleviates the purchasing bandwidth issue, but doesn't
>>> guarantee any level of service either.
[...]
>> I tried to get RH 9 using BitTorrent from a box running Win 98.
>> The box would freeze every time when 40% of download complete.
>> I've read that people running BitTorrent on a Linux box were more
>> successful, though.
[...]
> So that's two votes for bad results...  I was going to setup for RH9
> iso's with BitTorrent, but never got around to opening up the extra
> firewall ports.

I grabbed the RH9 ISOs via BitTorrent running on a gentoo system.  It
worked very smoothly, was at least as fast as downloading directly from
ftp, and didn't have the inconvenience of polling to get a connection
into a busy server.

While BitTorrent is good for the big honking files (i.e., ISOs), I don't
think it's designed for granularly downloading lots of smaller files.
It's not going to help speed up apt-getting or gentoo downloads.

Cheers,
Paul