Paul on Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:44:30 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Two passwd files?

I won't touch LDAP for this task. rsync'ing, even with it minor obstacles, has its advantages. The first being that it is simple to understand and implement. Second, the PCs and laptops will behave well as stand-alone systems when they are disconnected from the server. The file transfer is secured with ssh, so only root's public key needs to be copied to each client to make the updating system work.

An ssh question: Which key type should I choose, DSA or RSA?

Chris Hedemark wrote:

I want to use rsync and ssh to push the passwd file (and others) as an alternative to NIS.

You're making life harder for yourself than it needs to be with a klugey solution.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LDAP-HOWTO/