Tom Diehl on Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:49:16 -0400

[PLUG] Re: automount question

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Eric Lucas wrote:

> I've successfully set up automount on a RH 8 system but
> cannot get rid of a particular undesirable behavior.
>
> When I cd to the automount directory "/misc/share" it
> mounts it with all the files showing as owned by root.
> I'd like to see who actually owns the files.
>
> When I log onto the server where the share is I can see
> the file is owned by the user, as expected.
>
> I've perused the man pages for smbmount,
> automount, and others, without finding the answer.

Is the machine that you are mounting on a windoze or a linux box??
If it is linux I have never seen this behaviour. What is in /etc/exports
on the nfs server? If it is a windoze box look at the uid, gid options to
smbmount. Smbmount does not seem to be able to read windoze uid and gid's
and have them show up correctly on linux. As a result you have to specify
the uid and gid as args to smbmount or it assumes root. I _think_ this will
be fixed in samba 3.0.

HTH,

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@rogueind.com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....