Art Clemons on Fri, 2 May 2003 00:51:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: plug digest, Vol 1 #591 - 12 msgs

Jeff Mealo:

Going to run Slack 8.1, 9's updates didn't seem to address my needs. I probably should be using Linux from scratch or a router distro but Slack is what I know... If anyone has any tips or sites in specific that are tried in true regarding linux routers, or that you've found helpful I'd love some feedback.

I would suggest running one of the BSD's rather than Slackware (for the record, Slackware is my favorite Linux distro). Most flavors of BSD seem to have better innate security. I suggest that because all kinds of security flaws have turned up recently and upgrading 8.1 to get rid of them would just about amount to upgrading to 9.0. There are router implementations, I used to run the LRP (Linux Router Project) on a 486 dx-100 with 48 megs. I did run into one memorable problem namely having to have my NICs all of the same type since it seemed to use only one type of NIC at a time. You also sadly have to keep up with security postings about Linux or BSD since new flaws crop up all too often and your only defense is your BSD or Linux router at times.