Stratos Parisiou on Fri, 2 May 2003 22:41:06 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Multiple Channels?

Sounds like you may have some neighbors using wireless.

DEFINITELY turn on WEP.  Preferably 128-bit.  You wouldn't want anyone
accessing your machines.

I've been using Network Stumbler in my car with the GPS feature.  There are
WAY TOO MANY uninformed users of wireless around here.  Or, it could be
that, they are just generous with their internet connections.

Stratos

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 22:12
To: PLUG
Subject: [PLUG] Multiple Channels?

I have a wireless router configured to use channel 11.  Network
Stumbler (a wireless signal scanning utility) confirms that my router
is using channel 11, but it also reports that it's using a few other
channels.  I haven't seen this behavior with other wireless routers.
What's going on here?  (Granted, the software could be flakey.)