gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 5 May 2003 14:08:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] John Voris - spammer at large

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 01:49:04PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> Isn't that the guy who posts about IBM presentations on Linux, etc? I
> think of them as useful, personally, even if I don't go to all these
> things.

Sure, and posting it to the list is very different than culling
addresses and posting it directly to them. (The message whose
headers Chris posted--unless you're going to suggest that he
falsified those, and I don't see any reason to suggest that--didn't
come through the list.)

> He's posted on this list before; that's where I know the name from, I
> believe.

That doesn't make it okay to contact subscribers privately with
advertising, does it?

(It's one thing that people email me about, say, NetBSD or Apple
hardware privately; I'm fine with that, though they're probably
better off mailing the list... at the least, it won't take any
*longer* to get a response from me. It's quite another to effectively
cold-call a bunch of people because they have a stated interest in
a loosely related field.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net