gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 7 May 2003 17:09:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: OpenOffice observations (was: Which distro...)

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 04:56:27PM -0400, Nicholas Vettese wrote:
> I have seen it mess up many times.  If you have any type of charts in an
> Excel spreadsheet, OOo will not be able to figure them out.  I do
> spreadsheets all the time with charts and graphs, and they never come out
> right.

Hey, all I said was "Works for me!". Works for quotes sent in Word
or Excel format from vendors, works for documentation sent in both
formats from cow-orkers, works through .mailcap for files on the
Exchange server retrieved via IMAP (nyah, nyah!) or on Windows
shares retreived through smbclient (I don't bother with smbmount,
but that'd work just fine too) and tossed off to it. Never had a
problem.

So I don't do anything very complex in MS Office applications? Quite
possibly. But it's plenty good enough that I have only a NetBSD
workstation in a company where everyone else (present company
excepted, Chris) at least has a Windows workstation in addition to
their Linux workstation, and now that I'm using IMAP, I don't even
need to use Metaframe (the Linux client works just fine under
NetBSD's Linux syscall emulation, and can be found at
pkgsrc/net/citrix_ica) for Outlook.

I'm NOT trying to co-exist in an office environment. I'm touching MS
file formats exactly as frequently as I absolutely have to as a Unix
sysadmin. But my complaints against OpenOffice.org are that it takes
an inordinately long time to start (as in, way longer than `xterm`!)
and seems to want to spin on the processor all the time, even if
it's not doing anything (though it leaves hold of it if anything
else wants it). No complaints about functionality.

Point is, it's worth giving it a chance. It's probably not going to
be any worse than using WordPerfect on a Windows box or (say) Nisus
Writer on a Mac.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net