Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 7 May 2003 17:21:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Can Open Source Replace Oracle?

> > That's "Minix". And it's meaningless to suggest a correlation there.
> > Postgres really is based on Ingress. Linux was written as a
> > *reaction* to Minix. Minix is a microkernel architecture, Linux is a
> > monolithic kernel. And things get more divergent from there.
>
> Fair enough regarding Minix - I was wrong about that. Thanks to
> you and the others for explaining it. I will pick my analogies
> more carefully in the future.

Your statements are interesting and well taken.

However, I just wanted to say something off topic: "analogies should never
be used when trying to make a point with someone who is inclined to
disagree. This is b/c analogies never prove anything b/c they rely on two
different things being similar. In the real world when two things are
similar on all counts, they are the same, thus the analogy is superfluous.

Analogies are very good ways to explain things to a sympathetic audience
who is in agreement, however. I like them. I especially like when someone
I disagree with uses one b/c it's almost always possible to show how the
analogy disproves the original speaker's point."

Anyway, I understood what you meant, but I am not surprised that those who
disagreed with you did.

sincerly,

Fred