Fred K Ollinger on Wed, 7 May 2003 17:28:05 -0400

[OT] OO (office) rant was: Re: [PLUG] Re: OpenOffice observations (was: Which distro...)

> I've seen it screw up formating on Word docs very easily. By "screw up", I
> mean: changed the bottom margin from 0.5 inches to 3+ inches; changed the
> spacing between bulleted/numbered lists, so they were out of alignment.
> And this was on a Word doc that I - at least - would not call complicated.
> Having a bulleted list is not complicated; multiple styles, TOC and index
> entries, embedded OLE objects - that I'd call complicated.
>
> The problems I saw were certainly not insurmountable, but hardly "seamless".

I don't doubt that.

However, I saw even worse problems going from MS Office (windows) to MS
Office (mac).

Personally, the conflicting version problems for my own writing was what
prompted me to looking into using linux so that I could write more
efficiently. I don't regret the change, but I hardly call learning c++ and
configuring webservers to help me with my writing efficiency. :)

Fred