Craig Brennan on Wed, 7 May 2003 15:03:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Which distro...

Mandrake is GNU Linux so that is understandable.

MITCHELL MALTENPORT <mmalten@comcast.net> wrote:

> Which distro(s) favor KDE as the default desktop?
>
> Which distro(s) favor GNOME as the default desktop?

Installing Debian -- recently -- gave me a KDE default.

As I recall, installing Mandrake a few years ago gave me a GNOME
default.

> Which distro/desktop is best for a regular office worker who needs
> to read
> email, create & print documents and spreadsheets, and surf the web
> on her
> lunch break?

The make-or-break would be which document types does she need
compatibility with? Gnumeric seems to claim better import/export than
KSpread, but I haven't used either. (To state tbe obvious, Gnumeric is
GNOME, KSpread is KDE). Abiword is an excellent word processor, and I
know it has a GNOME interface as well as a GTK one.