Art Clemons on Mon, 12 May 2003 20:55:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

Edward M. Corrado:
In what might be a dumb question, is there any reason why I
can't/shouldn't use a second modem on a second phone jack (with the same
telephone number) in my house?

Let me first state that asking for knowledge when you don't know might be embarrasing, but is never "dumb". I don't know what Verizon's TOS are, but there are several different possible problems with two DSL modems, first, two computers might try connecting at the same time as the same account, that won't work very well for you, since only one modem can use a DSL account on the same line at one time. 2nd, both modems might respond to the same signals from the DSL provider even though one wasn't originally connected, once again, it won't work too well. Third, it's probably easier to run a CAT5 or CAT6 cable from one computer to the other and avoid the potential problems with some form of routing (i.e. a dedicated router or linux/*BSD box configured as a router), you then only have one modem going, no confusing responses from the perspective of Verizon and no possibility of lost data as one modem rejects data because it didn't send the original. Let me now state that if you can be sure that one modem won't be powered up when the other is, theoretically two modems could be connected to the same line with none of the problems I mention above, but that's the key problem. It's easy for example to allow a mail program to automatically download your mail, then forget and have it come up while the other modem is running.