Art Alexion on Tue, 13 May 2003 11:04:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Zaurus users?

On 9 May 2003 at 23:32, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 04:29:25PM -0400, Nicholas Vettese wrote: >
> [95 lines, 581 words, 4126 characters]  Top characters: _etniaos > > I
> have the 5600.  It is a really great machine.  It has almost replaced
> my > laptop in usage.  The battery problems were worked out, and I get
> about 4+ > hours surfing the web, d/l, and typing up documents.  I
> bought a wireless > card and SD chip, and store all my important data.
>  I have had one lockup > where I couldn't log in, but it was quickly
> resolved with a reset, and > nothing was lost.
>
> Four hours? Wow. I guess if you're comparing to a laptop. My palm gets
> one to two months on a battery. Different usage pattern, though.
>

>  Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>
>  GPG fingerprint: 1A1A BA95 D082 A558 A276  63C6 16BF 8C4C 0D1D AE4B

Going from my black and white Palm III with 2 AAA batteries (4 MB ram) to the color
Palm IIIc with built in rechargable Li-ion (8 MB ram), I expected less battery life, and
since I never used the latter for more than a day without returning it to its cradle, it
wasn't a big deal.  Then, when I recently moved to a Clié T615C with a smaller built
in rechargable (16 MB ram and 128 MB memory stick) and it started dying on me
mid-day, I started to wonder whether I had gotten a bad unit.  After all the Palm IIIc's
backlit color screen theoretically used more power than the Sony's sidelit version.

Making inquiries, it was pointed out to me that I was ignoring the memory factor.
When you are storing data in ram, it uses power.  And when you are storing more
data in more ram, it uses more power.

When I last looked at the Zaurus, it had 64 MB ram (plus a color screen) vs. the 4
MB max that battery powered Palms had.  I don't know if 16 times the memory
means 16 times the power necessary when in power off state, but it does take a lot
more.

For my Clié, I bought a car lighter charger and a little (1 3/8" x 2" x 3") radio shack
auto lighter to AC converter.  That way, I can recharge, if necessary, during the day,
whether in the car, on a plane or in an office (some older SEPTA regional rail cars
have AC outlets).  Still, it would be nice if these rechargable devices had removable
and spare batteries, like cell phones, so you could carry a spare.