Paul on Wed, 14 May 2003 20:57:54 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Group permissions for tech-adverse personnel

In the Linux filesystem, maybe setgid (s) and/or the sticky bit (t) might help. There's also the umask.

Running Windows through Samba will allow simple file permission adjustments through Windows' file explorer. Read, write, archive.

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

The question on the Time Matters group that inspired my question to this
group involved a "partially tech-savvy maintainer" who says he fixes the
permissions, but then they get "reset".  Upon further inquiry, I learned
that what was happening was that nothing was getting reset.  Rather the
default permissions for newly created files were causing the problems.

Unless this "partially tech-savvy maintainer" spends his entire day
monitoring the system for new files that need their permissions
adjusted, you are going to have problems.  (How many times have you seen
a windows computer with hundreds of files named Doc#.doc in the root or
windows directories?)

What is needed is a way to tune their default permissions.

I think a graphical app that allows a tech adverse user to highlight a
document from a list, and then check off permissions from a list of
groups might be a way to go.  The morphing group membership problem is
probably dealt with practically by the tech savvy maintainer.

Ideally, the access control system should be built into the document
management system.  Problem is most document management systems are
windows based and can't deal with Unix permissions.