MITCHELL MALTENPORT on Tue, 13 May 2003 16:21:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Group permissions for tech-adverse personnel

I'm going to put my own naivete on display here:

Try identifying three or four categories with simple labels such
as "expert," "trusted," "guest," "probationary." etc.   Something with
a clear, common meaning to you and the tech-adverse personnel.

Decide based on the needs of the company and your own common sense what
permissions you'd give people in each group.

Then it's just a matter of defining the groups and what permissions
each group has in /etc/group.

Then all you have to teach the tech-adverse personnel is how to assign
or revoke membership in any group to any user.

Nice simple picture.  Feel free to tell me what's wrong with it, I'm
still learning!