Kevin Brosius on Tue, 13 May 2003 16:24:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Cavalier DSL

> > I am looking at the 768/768 package. Overall (dsl+local+ld service) it
>         > will save me 35$ a month and it looks like pretty fast service. I was
>         > wondering if anyone has used their DSL. I looked on DSL reports, and
>         > there was only one report from the philly area, and it was good.
>
>         Cavalier was not offering DSL in Pennsylvania last summer, so it's not
>         surprising.
>
>         I suspect that today, DSL service is a pretty well established
>         technology, virtually a commodity. That's a big change from just 2-3
>         years ago.
>
>         The actual DSL link will run at rated speed, and probably have minimal
>         problems. The question is/will be - how much pipe do they have from the
>         COs to their back-bone, and then out to the Internet. Cavalier now
>         claims to have their own fibre between the COs they service, so
>         bandwidth might prove to be an issue as their customer base increases.

I hear good things about the Cavalier DSL.  I work with someone who
likes it (and it's not Comcast, as he says :) )

One thing to note is that Cavalier is not using standard ADSL, so speeds
are different than you might expect from an ADSL 784/784 circuit.  From
the reading I've done, their DSL is a combined bandwidth product,
meaning up and down bandwidth is shared.  I'm not clear on the actual
transfer rate, but it sounds like you can use either 784 down or 784 up
at any given time, for standard usage you'll get some lesser speed in
one direction.  (Which is just fine for most home use.  For example,
standard 684/128 ADSL is great for downloading, web browsing, mail,
etc...)

--
Kevin Brosius