Pete Foley on Wed, 14 May 2003 10:17:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Cavalier DSL

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 12:48:52PM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
> Interestingly, it looks like they only provide ONE static IP.

The one static IP is plenty for me.  I have a box set up for
firewalling/gateway/nat and just share the line on my internal network
that way.

> As for the free dial-up on the road (where free = 800 number) ...
> Nobody seems to offer that any more. If you have it you have it, but
> new customers aren't being offered it... unless you pay for it by
> paying a higher price like with Speakeasy. 800 service isn't cheap to
> provide. Especially if you are going to provide "enough" so that people
> don't complain about the AOL problem -- busy signals. Besides, more and
> more business oriented hotels now offer in-room DSL service, typically
> for $9 a day.

Yeah, the dial up is nice to have, but not all that important.  I only
really need it when I am on vacation and want to check my email, but
being it has been over 2 years since that has happend, I am sure I can
live without it (or get some cheap ISP for the week(s) I need it).

-Pete