Paul on Thu, 15 May 2003 17:32:05 -0400

Re: [OT book recommendation] was Re: [PLUG] Philly Linux Chix

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

What I've heard about Temple's IT department is that it's hard to get
women to take the classes.

For possible explanations for this read _The Blank Slate_ By Stephen
Pinker. Great book all around.

Interesting, but allow me to pull a "gr" on this topic, as he would with a pure technology topic.

Who cares if women don't want to take IT classes? If the women cared, they would take the classes, wouldn't they?!

Maybe the classes are dominated by males because they have tunnel vision and can only focus on one pursuit. Maybe many women have better things to do than to take IT classes. Computers, after all, are only tools to get real work done.

The industry isn't that great to begin with. And, if there's any resistance to joining the IT world, why bother? Why not just study business, become a powerful executive or business owner, and take control all those who opposed you!

If you enjoy computers as a hobby, great. Maybe you can make a job out of it. But, then again, making it a job might make it less enjoyable.

Looking at it another way, if females displace males in the computer world, then what will those males do? Will they be accepted in traditionally female jobs? There was a lot of questioning and lack of support when I decided that I wanted to put my baby before my computer job, which was something that was either expected or accepted when females did the same. Now I work part time and hopefully get some freelance work. Even now a common question is (paraphrased) "When are you going to throw your son into fulltime child care and get a full time job?"

If women want to take IT classes, great. If women want to form an all-female Linux group, OK. It's up to them. I've already wasted more time than anyone else on this topic. See ya!