Eugene Smiley on Thu, 15 May 2003 17:41:04 -0400

RE: [PLUG] City Lawyer: We Don't Store Data on Hard Disk

Ed wrote:
> The City lawyer, Mimi Choksi, spent a good deal of time rebutting
> our affidavits in her legal brief.  Read how she went about it
> here:
>
> http://www.hallwatch.org/rtkasuits/suits/brt/briefs/choksi_response

Questions to present to Ms. Choksi:

Q: Okay, so the data resides on the mainframe. Are you saying that
the requested fields reside in random access memory on the mainframe,
and if so what happens to this information if the mainframe should
"go down" or is turned off?

Q: How does the City's disaster recovery plan cover the loss of
this information? How is this information protected from accidental
loss?

Q: A mainframe is not a storage medium, it's a computational device.
As a computational device, it is likely to have a CPU, memory, and
storage media. What are the storage media used in the City's
mainframe?

Eugene