sean finney on Fri, 16 May 2003 11:08:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Question about dual booting install.

hi donald,

linux is definitely the second thing to install, as it's a little more
aware and considerate of other pre-existing OS's on the machine.  if
you can, i'd pre-emptively partition in like your friend suggested (do
it from a root shell on the install cd, or better yet, get yourself a
knoppix CD so you can play frozen bubble in between!).  basically, make
the first partition your big ntfs partition[1], allocate it, and leave
the rest blank and unallocated.  install 2k, which will probably go
along with the install not complaining about how the C:\ is actually
smaller than the hard drive.  after that's installed, back into the rh
installer, finish the job, and don't forget to put an entry into lilo.conf
(or grub.conf) for your MS OS...

if you'd like to see my 2k/debian machine's partition layout or fstab,
just let me know.

	sean

[1] if you can boot past the 8192 cylinder limit, which most modern
    bioses can these days.