JP Toto on Fri, 16 May 2003 22:45:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Question about dual booting install.

Right now (at least in 2.4) the kernel NTFS support is only read. It can write but it's considered "Dangerous" in the kernel compile menuconfig so I imagine it's not particularly mature. Gabe can probably speak to this alot better than I can. Redhat probably won't let you mount the partition rw because:

a) write support isn't compiled into your kernel (probably the case)
b) it's a little dangerous to do so Redhat has some administrative preventative measure keeping you from doing so.

Either way, mounting an NTFS partition rw in Linux isn't considered terribly stable (again, as best I know) so it's not widely supported by distros.

You could recompile your kernel with NTFS writing built in but you're on your own risk-wise then :-)

Hope that helps.

Cheers, - JP

Daniel G Roberts wrote:

one problem that I have run into is that my redhat refuses to mount my
win2k/ntfs partition as read/write..even by hand I can only mount it read/only
eventhough I specified at the cmd line  I wanted the partition mounted as  rw.
have any clues?
Dan

"mike.h" wrote:

I have a dual boot, Win 2K and Redhat 8, machine. I installed RedHat first,
partitioning the disk in the process. Basically, I split a large disk in 2
and put all ext 3 and swap partitions on the "upper" half. The "lower" half
I left unformatted. Then I installed Win 2K and formatted its partitions as
ntfs. I put Grub in the boot sector. Works fine.