John Lavin on Sun, 18 May 2003 12:47:04 -0400

[PLUG] using mencoder for Archos Jukebox

Well - thanks gabe for the suggestion to use mencoder to convert my
various media formats over to a readable format for my Archos jukebox.
I think I'm close, but the thing is still not displaying the video.  I'm
testing with one of my matrix preview quicktimes and running with the
following command:

mencoder matrix4.mov -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:preset=128 -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800 -vop scale=352x288 in.avi -o out.avi

I think that what's stopping it from playing is that it may be still
compressed.  There isn't much detail in the mplayer list archive and
the recommendations given there don't work for the archos.  Here's the
exact text from the manual that I'm trying to put into the mencoder
command:

"The jukebox multimedia can play back MPEG4 Simple Profile video files
in AVI format.  Maximum resolution is CIF (352 x 288 pixels) @ 30
frames/sec.  Larger resolution files or non-standard MPEG4 files will
not be played.  The sound track, if any, must be in MP3 format."

Any thoughts?

Regards,
-john
--
John Lavin <jlavin@wayreth.net> http://www.wayreth.net                  ,''`.
Fingerprint: B0AA 4A33 D43F BA67 E524  22F3 DA3B F8C8 2BA4 8C46        : :' :