gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 18 May 2003 13:08:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] using mencoder for Archos Jukebox

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 12:44:45PM -0400, John Lavin wrote:
> mencoder matrix4.mov -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:preset=128 -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800 -vop scale=352x288 in.avi -o out.avi
[...]
> "The jukebox multimedia can play back MPEG4 Simple Profile video files
> in AVI format.  Maximum resolution is CIF (352 x 288 pixels) @ 30
> frames/sec.  Larger resolution files or non-standard MPEG4 files will
> not be played.  The sound track, if any, must be in MP3 format."

I'm *way* out on a limb here, since I *never* do this kind of thing,
but is it possible that v[ariable?]bitrate doesn't qualify as
"standard" as far as the Archos's designers are concerned?

Are you using the same mpeg4 codec as the Archos, or just the one
that came with mencoder? Could there be some point of contention
that ordinarily doesn't matter, but does here, between what Windows
thinks is mpeg4 and what the open source library things?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net