John Lavin on Sun, 18 May 2003 13:59:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] using mencoder for Archos Jukebox

gabriel rosenkoetter said:
> I'm *way* out on a limb here, since I *never* do this kind of thing,
> but is it possible that v[ariable?]bitrate doesn't qualify as
> "standard" as far as the Archos's designers are concerned?
Yeah - I think Archos opinion of "standard" is off base.  I've been
trying to encode in as many formats as mencoder supports in hope that
one is the format that is this so-called standard.  vbitrate, from what
I understand, is videobitrate...

> Are you using the same mpeg4 codec as the Archos, or just the one
> that came with mencoder? Could there be some point of contention
> that ordinarily doesn't matter, but does here, between what Windows
> thinks is mpeg4 and what the open source library things?
Yup - I'm using the codecs provided by mencoder.  They have multiple
codecs that I've experimented with:
mpeg4
msmpeg4
mpeg1video

There are more, I can't think of them right now and mplayerhq is not
responding so I can't look it up right now.  I had trouble with some
trying to keep the frames per second under 30...

Thanks,
-john
--
John Lavin <jlavin@wayreth.net> http://www.wayreth.net                  ,''`.
Fingerprint: B0AA 4A33 D43F BA67 E524  22F3 DA3B F8C8 2BA4 8C46        : :' :