Mental Patient on Mon, 19 May 2003 13:52:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SCO Threatening to sue customers for using SCO's software

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 13:35, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> At 01:13 PM 5/19/2003, you wrote:
> >On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 11:05:11AM -0500, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> > > No doubt all of you have heard about what's going with SCO, their lawsuit
> > > with IBM, attacking Linux, and getting license $ from MS. I'd like to hear
> > > what your thoughts and opinions on the subject.
> >
> >Noise.
> >
> >The case is groundless; SCO has concocted a laughably false history of
> >the issues.  Microsoft is lending credence to SCO's case because casts
> >doubt on Linux, their biggest competitor.
> >
> >See http://www.opensource.org/sco-vs-ibm.html
> >
> > > Consultants and integrators, has this changed your Linux game plan?
> >
> >Nope.  I used BSD before, and I'll keep doing it.  ;-)  I don't see *any*
> >reason to advise my clients to stop using Linux.
>
> Seems to me this is the sound a drowning company makes when they realize
> they never learned to swim, and their raft won't hold them any more.
>
> And I agree that Microsoft's license purchase is just a way to either
> obfuscate matters, or get a foothold so they can later use it as a point of
> attack on Linux. Or both.

I personally think that if there were real grounds for SCO's claims that
we will see Microsoft purchase SCO and said IP in the immediate future.
If nothing else, it would give them grounds to stand on (by owning the
IP) when they sued IBM.

That all said, I think its all bunk.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

Distant - An approaching age
When this document falls beneath another's gaze
Too late - We have lost the dawn
The signal's loud and clear, but the transmitter's gone

--Assemblage 23 "Document"