gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 22 May 2003 10:37:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Window Managers

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 10:22:45AM -0400, Jeffrey Mealo wrote:
> I'd like something fast and highly configurable

I like vtwm, but you won't. :^>

> absolutely nothing for me. I was thinking of Fluxbox but am not sure
> all of the features I will need are fully implemented.

fluxbox sounds like a perfect answer for you. Or its even
lighter-weight parent blackbox (which I use on laptops and stuff
without much graphics horsepower).

> Also, just to
> try it out I downloaded it (Slackware 9, manually compiled) however
> when I run fluxbox it can't find the display and dies... there's no
> startflux option or something similar. I've always used KDE basically
> so I'm not sure how this... migration goes, will I need to recompile
> apps?

Um. How are you "running" fluxbox?

KDE is desktop environment, fluxbox is just a window manager.

You should be able to put fluxbox in your .xinitrc, then just run
startx.

A minimal .xinitrc would look something like:

--- CUT HERE ---
xterm &
fluxbox
--- CUT HERE ---

(Note that you want to run your window manager last and that you
want to background everything except for it; X goes away when the
last program detaches. So if it's all backgrounded, you'll be dumped
back to a prompt almost immediately. If you use a session manager,
you'll want that to be the un-backgrounded thing.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net