Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 26 May 2003 14:31:38 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Window Managers

On Thu, 2003-05-22 at 14:36, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> fluxbox sounds like a perfect answer for you. Or its even
> lighter-weight parent blackbox (which I use on laptops and stuff
> without much graphics horsepower).
>
> You should be able to put fluxbox in your .xinitrc, then just run
> startx.
>
> A minimal .xinitrc would look something like:
>
> --- CUT HERE ---
> xterm &
> fluxbox
> --- CUT HERE ---

This discussion got me interested in trying fluxbox.  I, too, prefer
KDE, when I can afford its demands, and have been using Window Maker
when speed takes precedence over features.  I figured I'd give fluxbox a
try, having heard that its predecessor, blackbox, was among the lightest
and fastest window managers.

Well, I downloaded and compiled it, and everything went fine.  Then I
added it to kdm's list of available sessions using the KDE
administration utility.  This worked when I added Window Maker and fvw2
to the available sessions.  However, when I select fluxbox from the
available sessions in kdm, I get dumped to my default session KDE
instead.

I mentioned that this worked for Window Maker and fvw2, but those window
managers were installed with my distro, even though they were not listed
in the kdm session drop down.  Looks like I have to add fluxbox to some
other configuration file to get kdm to work, but I can't find which.

BTW, this is RH 7.2 with kdm 2.2.2, and the current fluxbox release.
XFree86 4.10-25.

Thanks for any help.
--
Arthur S. Alexion <arthur@alexion.com>