Adam Turoff on Sun, 25 May 2003 19:28:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Looking for a laptop

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 05:29:42PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> Apple iBook.  Great value!  OS X is BSD flavored, or you can run BSD on
> it directly (OpenBSD is known to work, unsure about the others).

Last I checked, iBooks can run OpenBSD, Darwin and Yellow Dog Linux
out of the box.  I'm pretty sure that Debian and Gentoo work, but
might take slightly more effort, as expected.

> I got
> my Apple (a higher end Powerbook) with the idea that I'd probably put a
> different OS on it but I've been very happy with OS X on it.  X11
> support in OS X is finally pretty good so I think it's a very safe bet.

I had the same idea with my iBook, and came to the same conclusions.

Z.