Stephen Gran on Sun, 25 May 2003 12:35:14 -0400

[PLUG] Looking for a laptop

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new laptop (finally!) as my old one has become
almost unusable.  I have about $1000 to spend, and am having a hard time
making up my mind.  I like the feel of the older Thinkpads (my old one
is 600e), but I have no brand loyalty as such - I just like the keyboard
and the included 3 button mouse.  I don't need any of the options that
seem to come with most laptops these days, like CD/DVD burners and
whatnot, as I have those in another box.

I am mostly looking for a dependable, quick, and light-weight box that
has a decent screen size (>14", preferably).  Obviously playing nicely
with linux and/or BSD is a requirement.  If anyone has any suggestions,
I would appreciate it.  I have been looking at the Thinkpad R32, but I'd
like other opinions before taking the plunge.

TIA,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Sailors in ships, sail on!  Even while  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | we died, others rode out the storm.     |