William H. Magill on Thu, 29 May 2003 03:56:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Looking for a laptop

On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 05:29 PM, Chris Hedemark wrote:
On Sunday, May 25, 2003, at 12:34 PM, Stephen Gran wrote:

I'm in the market for a new laptop (finally!) as my old one has become
almost unusable. I have about $1000 to spend, and am having a hard time
making up my mind. I like the feel of the older Thinkpads (my old one
is 600e), but I have no brand loyalty as such - I just like the keyboard
and the included 3 button mouse. I don't need any of the options that
seem to come with most laptops these days, like CD/DVD burners and
whatnot, as I have those in another box.

I am mostly looking for a dependable, quick, and light-weight box that
has a decent screen size (>14", preferably). Obviously playing nicely
with linux and/or BSD is a requirement. If anyone has any suggestions,
I would appreciate it. I have been looking at the Thinkpad R32, but I'd
like other opinions before taking the plunge.

Apple iBook. Great value! OS X is BSD flavored, or you can run BSD on it directly (OpenBSD is known to work, unsure about the others). I got my Apple (a higher end Powerbook) with the idea that I'd probably put a different OS on it but I've been very happy with OS X on it. X11 support in OS X is finally pretty good so I think it's a very safe bet.

The only problem based on your requirements is the screen size; For $1000 you're only going to get a 12" screen. For $1500 you get the 14" screen (and a lot more other stuff above the $1000 model).

The things are infectious. At my old LUG it seemed like one guy would get an iBook, and then another, and before you knew it there were more people showing up with Apple hardware at meetings than all other manufacturers *combined*.

If you've waited this long, wait until June 24 before you make a decision.

Rumor has it that the 970 PowerPC (Power4) based machines will be announced (some have said given out as part of your registration) at the WWDC Keynote on the 23rd. [Note that the rumors originate in France, so you can put what ever validity percentage you want on them.]

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com