Jeffrey J. Nonken on Thu, 29 May 2003 07:40:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] [OT] solaris 9 netinstall

At 05:43 PM 5/28/2003, you wrote:
I am trying to setup a net install of solaris 9 onto an old sparc which
has no cdrom drive.

I have setup the rarp, tftp, bootparam.

I am at the stage where one looks via tcpdump to see what kernel is being
sought, the other way is to do some simple ip math. Either way, I'm
stumped as I can't read the s1 dir on the installer cdrom where the kernel
lives.

Any ideas? I want to use a freebsd i386 install server, but I can use
openbsd or linux if it's easier.

I am running openbsd on the sparc now, but I really need solaris for a
project I'm working on.

I have heard that sun recently changed their cdrom setup to include a
secret slice, s1, which could only be mounted under solaris. Is there a
way to mount this under another os?

Just out of curiosity, what model SPARC?

I might be able to lend you a CDROM drive.

-----
Jeffrey Nonken - http://jnork.nonken.net/
Any opinions expressed herein are my own.
Unsolicited commercial email will be ignored, tossed, laughed at,
and/or complained about -- and I won't buy anything from you.
---