Doug Crompton on Wed, 4 Jun 2003 16:55:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: DSL Rates, Experiences RFC

I check this regularly hoping that DSL sevice will be available to my
area. I expect it will be in the next 9 months or so. Verizon is on a big
roll-out (so they say) of DSL. I had a formal complaint filed with the PUC
regarding that and it did give me valuable insite as to how they do
things and got me the personal ear of a Verizon engineer. It did not
however get me a connection!

www.crompton.com/Verizon-PUC/Verizon-PUC.html

>From what I have heard I would also recommend Speakasy. They have a $70
package for DSL that includes many features and also static IP. Verizon is
about $30-40 more for an almost equivalent service.

I would also check Covad. They had a reasonable package also. I think it
may have included 4 or 5 static addresses. I am not sure how this works
anymore but at one time all of the DLEC's dealt with Covad anyhow.

Many also quote very different up/down speeds. So depending on what your
needs are that might be an issue.

I hate Comcast but they do have a business connection and you can get
static IP but I have no idea what the cost is.

I also have not idea what these services allow - they do seem to indicate
web hosting in business packages but they also sell those services.
Speakeasy is Linux friendly and blocks nothing.

Doug

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Tom Diehl wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, JP Toto wrote:
>
> > Hi all. I know we do this once or twice a year but I wanted to get an
> > update since Im moving soon. Right now I have a cable modem but Im
> > looking at possibly getting DSL at my new house. I'de like a static IP
> > with decent speed. Reliability and decent customer service would be
> > nice, too :-) And... I don't want to get raked over the coal$ for it
> > all. I remember someone saying DCA.net was pretty good. Anyone else have
> > any recomendations? Verizon, perhaps?
> >
> > Any and all opinions are welcome and incouraged. Thanks!!!
>
> Depends on how you define "raked over the coal$". Remember for the most
> part you get what you pay for, opensource software being the notable
> exception. ;)
>
> Having said that I can highly recommend Speakeasy.net. They have numerous
> packages that offer numerous options including static ip's. In my experience
> with them I have found their customer service to be very good as well. I have
> been with them since directvdsl went belly up the end of last year.
>
> Their TOS also allows you to run your own servers. However for sure though they
> will cost you more than Verizon's or for that matter anyone elses crap pppoe
> service. Last time I checked you could get a static ip from Verizon but it
> would cost at least $30.00 more.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> ......Tom		CLUELESSNESS: There Are No Stupid Questions, But
> tdiehl@rogueind.com	There Are LOTS of Inquisitive Idiots. :-)
> 			Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *