Bradley Molnar on Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:40:16 -0400

[PLUG] Fixing Corrupt Sectors on ext2

well, here's another question for the group.

today, a disk (IBM 41GB drive) decided to stop working.  i'm not totally
sure if the head crashed (i think it might have as the bios didn't recognise
the disk being attached at one point, i was able to free the head to try to
get some data back* but only got about half of it).  I ran the IBM [Hitachi]
utility that said that there were corrupt sectors.  The drive is formatted
ext2.  What is the easiest way to tell the computer to either ignore these
errors or fix them, or whatever, so I can try to get some of the rest of the
data off of it.

It is actually still under warantee, and I have an RMA on it, I just want to
try to get as much stuff off of it before I ship it back.

thanks
-b

* - the way this was done was by twisting the drive with the center of
rotation being the center of where the drive spins.  A horrible, horrible
thing to do to the drive, I know, but, right after I did this the computer
recognised it and it booted and I was able to copy about 25 of the 35 GB in
use on the drive to an 80GB drive that was already in the machine.