Adam Turoff on Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:19:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Printer reccomendation

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 10:32:27PM -0400, Joe Uknalis wrote:
> I'm leaning toward the HP, but now the HP1300 (which also gets good marks,
> $400) is out.  There seem to be a supply of refurbished 1200/1200SE's, but
> am a little leery of such things...  anyone have experience with the 1300??

I had a very bad experience with my HP Printer (a color deskjet).  I had
a defective component, and it took many weeks and many phone calls to
attempt to solve the problem.  In the end, the (billable) time I spent on
the phone trying to get the thing fixed exceeded the cost of the printer
a couple of times over.  Their customer service bungled bigtime, and they
had to send *3* replacement components before I received a single one.

In the end, I did get a replacement part, which was also defective.
Broken as designed I gather.

When I was pricing printers, the HP 1200 *looked* nice on paper, but
it's just-slightly-better-than-low-end unit.  It's what the 1000 or 1100
should be (reasonable amount of RAM, more than 5 sheet paper capacity,
etc.).

Based on my experience with HP, I'd think very carefully about giving
them any more business.  There are other cheap laser printer
manufacturers, like Lexmark, that I'd seriously investigate before buying
HP again.

Just my $0.02.  :-)

Z.