Chris Mann on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 11:43:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] 70% something on 'net connection due to tarpits?

Good question! I just forwarded this to George since he's not on the
list.

>>> kaze@voicenet.com 06/09/03 11:20AM >>>
Something Chris Mann's boss said during the last presentation is
intriguing
me. It was due to either tarpits or honeypots, tarpits I think. He said
they
regained 70% or their bandwidth, or their bandwidth use dropped 70% due
this. Sounds great to me, but why does this happen? The connections
are
mostly still there. It's not like the crackers were getting in and
then
moving huge files on and off the servers. Is it just the overhead of
establishing and breaking down all those sessions which made such a
difference? What's the downside to running these
proactive-anti-cracking
programs?