Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:02:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] System Bell - Beep!

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 10:10:01PM -0400, zeek wrote:
>   [26 lines, 73 words, 659 characters]  Top characters: _entsil\n
>

> Greets PLUGgers,
>
> Does anyone know how to ring a system bell, a beep w/o additional software? I've
> tried:
>
> echo -n -e "\a"  and  echo -n -e "\007"
>
> but neither of these are working --even for systems which ring bells on other
> calls.
>

> I want to work this into a BB monitoring alert.

These both work for me:

    /bin/echo -n -e "\a"
    echo -n -e "\a"

Since echo is also a shell built-in, you have to specify that you want
/bin/echo if you want it.

You can also fiddle with the shell built-in. From the bash man page:

 echo [-neE] [arg ...]
	Output the args, separated by spaces, followed by a newline.  The return
	status  is  always  0.  If -n is specified, the trailing newline is sup-
	pressed.  If the -e option is given,  interpretation  of  the  following
	backslash-escaped  characters  is  enabled.   The -E option disables the
	interpretation of these escape characters, even on  systems  where  they
	are  interpreted  by  default.  The xpg_echo shell option may be used to
	dynamically determine whether or not echo expands these  escape  charac-
	ters by default.  echo does not interpret -- to mean the end of options.
	echo interprets the following escape sequences:
	\a     alert (bell)
	\b     backspace
	\c     suppress trailing newline
	\e     an escape character
	\f     form feed
	\n     new line
	\r     carriage return
	\t     horizontal tab
	\v     vertical tab
	\\     backslash
	\0nnn  the eight-bit character whose value is the octal value nnn  (zero
	       to three octal digits)
	\nnn   the  eight-bit  character whose value is the octal value nnn (one
	       to three octal digits)
	\xHH   the eight-bit character whose value is the hexadecimal  value  HH
	       (one or two hex digits)

--
 Jeff