Jeffrey J. Nonken on Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:24:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Wireless network

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:06:41 -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 09:57:18PM -0400, Chris Magnus Hedemark
>wrote:
>>So tonight I got up on top of two of the tallest structures in
>>Swarthmore (off campus).  The disappointing bit was that the trees
>>in
>>Swarthmore, as old and impressive as they are, are awfully big.  In
>>
>>fact, beyond about a half mile there was not much that was visible
>>above the tree line at all.
>
>Especially if you're looking west across the Crum. Bear in mind
>that there's *also* nothing you want to hit with wireless in there.
>(Well, it'd be *nice* to be part of a mesh with a wireless handheld
>while walking through the Crum, but the only way you're getting
>there is bouncing through other human's wireless devices at ground
>level.)
>
>Could you see Parrish's flagpole up on campus? What about the train
>station? (Trainstation's nice because it's a straight shot down the
>tracks to Morton; no such lock on the way to Media. Who knows if
>SEPTA would go for something like this, though.)
>
>Some of your message got lost last night (cell phone flaked; not
>necessarily a good omen ;^>); could you see any part of my place
>past 101 Chester? Because if you can get to me, I can get to most of
>downtown Swarthmore from Park Ave. north.
>
>>Building Name: "Greylock"
>>Roof GPS: 30:53.984N, 75:21.051W
>>Roof elevation: 63 feet above sea level (standing on the elevator
>>shaft)
>[...]
>>View of downtown Swarthmore is limited though due to two other
>>tall buildings in the way.
>
>One of those tall buildings (ONE-OH-ONE; yes it's printed that way
>on their address sign) houses (used to house?) the Math Forum, a
>formerly Swarthmore-associated online-education company (non-profit?
>don't recall). I used to know a bunch of people there, but I don't
>know who's still left (there was a lot of turnover around the time
>the moved out of Swarthmore's environs into ownership by a private
>company).

Wow, I so much want to get into this. Especially since there's an
antenna tower literally right down the street from me (if I open the
shades, I can see das blinkenlights on my bedroom wall).
Unfortunately I have no money. *sigh* They'd probably want rent on
top of that anyway.

So to speak.