Michael F. Robbins on Thu, 12 Jun 2003 03:08:12 -0400

[PLUG] DNS Packet Redirecting/Rewriting by ISPs

I run an authoritative nameserver for my domains.  When I use standard
DNS tools to query the nameserver *while ssh'd into the nameserver box*,
everything looks fine.  However, when I use the same tools to query the
nameserver from another computer remotely, passing through more than a
dozen other hops, the packet comes back differently.  The packet is no
longer authoritative, and the actual size of the packet and cache times
are different!  It is as though my query went through some ISP's caching
nameserver first.

Also supporting this theory is that when I query for other domains, like
yahoo.com, on my nameserver, I should expect to get no response.  When
doing the query from the NS box, I corrrectly get no response.  However,
when doing the query from my remote workstation, the yahoo.com data is
actually returned.

Furthermore, the nameserver logs seem to support this.  None of my
"yahoo.com" style queries are even sent to my server, while all of my
successful (those that should be authoritative) queries appear to come
from a Class C block of IPs that appears to represent a third party.

I did manage to find this document:
"Optimizing ISP Networks and Services with DNS Redirection"
http://www.nortelnetworks.com/products/library/collateral/intel_int/dns_wp.pdf
Google PDF->HTML:
http://216.239.39.100/search?q=cache:LUOHoIYtTegJ:www.nortelnetworks.com/products/library/collateral/intel_int/dns_wp.pdf+DNS+packet+redirected+ISP&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Are my conclusions on the right track?  Is this a common practice in the
ISP industry?  Of all the other hops between my workstation and the
server, where might this rewriting be occuring?

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com