mike.h on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:53:05 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Job Titles? (Was: web developer job opening)

Summary of the ACM Position on Software Engineering as a Licensed
Engineering Profession:

http://www.acm.org/serving/se_policy/selep_main.html

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Chris Mann
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 12:05 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Job Titles? (Was: web developer job opening)

<snip>

We were kicking around the job title snafu a few weeks ago here at the
office. I think everyone agrees that for the most part, unless your in
the IT industry, the difference between a sysadmin and a netadmin
appears to be semantics. However to those of us in the industry, the
difference is pretty glaring.

What we thought would be interesting is to see the formation of a IT
Guild of sorts, with ratings of Apprentice to Master in the fields and
sub fields of the industry. That would give a pretty easy and clear cut
job title and ability of the person.

Then again, we thought that since that idea kind of makes sense it
probably won't happen for umteen million reason.

--
Christopher Mann
Systems Administrator