gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:53:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SAGE/USENIX

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 01:45:39PM -0400, Magnus wrote:
> Hrmmmm I dunno.  $110 just to get into USENIX, plus another $40 for
> SAGE, and that's just for one year.  And what does it *really* buy me?
> A magazine.  Access to some mailing lists.  More junkmail.  Lots of
> spam, pimping conferences.  It really appears to be over-commercialized.

It also buys you a vote in standards on sysadmin certification and
a bit of control over your salary (many companies determine what
salary to set for sysadmins directly by the guidelines that SAGE
reports after it's annual salary poll).

And I think you're too quick to discount having access to an
academic-style cultural community of Unix systems administrators,
developers, and users (the magazine, junk mail, and conferences).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net