Magnus on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:14:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SAGE/USENIX

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 04:52 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

It also buys you a vote in standards on sysadmin certification

I've never hired anyone who mentioned any sort of SAGE certification on their resume. Doesn't seem to carry much weight.

and
a bit of control over your salary (many companies determine what
salary to set for sysadmins directly by the guidelines that SAGE
reports after it's annual salary poll).

I've also not run into this (at least not SAGE's numbers anyway).

Besides, I took a real hit in the wallet taking my current job so I don't want to negatively skew any poll. ;-)

And I think you're too quick to discount having access to an
academic-style cultural community of Unix systems administrators,
developers, and users (the magazine, junk mail, and conferences).

Eh. Unix sysadmin communities are a dime a dozen. $150 for just one is just a tad overpriced.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
"From the Fury of the Norsemen please Deliver us, Oh Lord"