Michael C. Toren on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:17:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] date formating in email headers

> It wasn't obvious from RFC 2822 or google searches as to whether the day
> of the week is required in the date field of the email header. Obviously
> the information is redundant but it appears that all my other emails
> have it.  Does anyone know if a particular format is required or can it
> be either?

RFC822 section 5.1 contains the answer:

!    5.  DATE AND TIME SPECIFICATION
!
!    5.1.  SYNTAX
!
!    date-time   =  [ day "," ] date time        ; dd mm yy
!                                                ;  hh:mm:ss zzz
!
!    day         =  "Mon"  / "Tue" /  "Wed"  / "Thu"
!                /  "Fri"  / "Sat" /  "Sun"

The day of week is an optional field; it's perfectly valid to either
include or exclude it.

-mct