gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:10:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SAGE/USENIX

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 05:13:13PM -0400, Magnus wrote:
> I've never hired anyone who mentioned any sort of SAGE certification on
> their resume.  Doesn't seem to carry much weight.

And just how many have you hired? Of what level?

As you point out, you're completely unfamiliar with SAGE
certification... including the fact that it's only been finalized in
the last six months or so and that examinations are still a work in
progress. (Considering the project only *started* about a year and a
half ago, I think that's rather impressive. But perhaps you could do
better?)

I also note that you apparently haven't actually *been* to a SAGE- or
Usenix-sponsored conference. There are plenty of other (besides
me) people on this list who were at LISA this past time around in
Philly. I found it to be distinctly valuable, and I'd like to think
that I know at least a little bit of what I'm talking about.

[salary poll]
> I've also not run into this (at least not SAGE's numbers anyway).
[...]
> Besides, I took a real hit in the wallet taking my current job so I
> don't want to negatively skew any poll. ;-)

Well, then you perhaps should have consulted SAGE's numbers when
discussing salary. They'd either have improved your state or put
your desires in a more realistic framework. (I don't know what
you're paid, and I don't want to.)

> Eh.  Unix sysadmin communities are a dime a dozen.  $150 for just one
> is just a tad overpriced.

I am convinced that you're mistaken, and that you'll find, if you
choose to look, that many professional communities (of CPAs, of
doctors, of lawyers, of professors of various sciences) come with
similar price tags.

But it doesn't really matter; if you don't think it's valuable to
you, that's fine, but it's hardly fair to besmirch it publicly based
only on a cursory "costs too much, I'm not going to bother
considering it" examination.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net