Jason Costomiris on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:34:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Web developer job opening

On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 11:30 AM, Magnus wrote:

That's not strictly true; it varies on a state by state basis. This has been causing MCSE's no end of trouble in some states. Texas has been a hotbed of legal troubles over this.

Very true. That's one reason why Check Point took their CCSE (Check Point Certified Security Engineer) certification and did a s/Engineer/Expert/ on it.

All that stuff being said, someone asked about the difference between a programmer and a software engineer...

In my opinion, having hired a few of each in a former life, a software engineer is someone who has the skills of a programmer, and can apply those skills to managing a large-scale software project through the development life cycle (requirements spec on down). Programmers are the guys who report to software engineers.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org / W: http://www.jasons.org/